Hair Restoration with Platelet Rich Plasma
WHAT IS PLATELET RICH PLASMA HAIR RESTORATION?
Platelet Rich Plasma treatment is a non-surgical therapeutic option for men and women who require stimulation of hair growth for hair loss conditions.
PRP contains special cells called Platelets, that can cause growth of the hair follicles by stimulating the stem cells and other cells in the microenvironment of the hair follicle. The primary purpose of using PRP in hair restoration is to stimulate inactive or newly implanted hair follicles into an active growth phase. Inside the Platelets are many intracellular structures such as glycogen, lysosomes and alpha granules. These granules within the PRP contain clotting and growth factors that are eventually released during the healing and repair process.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS IS RECOMMENDED?
We recommend 3 - 4 treatments 6 weeks apart
Maintenance can be done between 6 months to 12 months after inicial treatment.
HOW SOON CAN I SEE THE RESULTS?
Improvements can be noticed as early as 2 months but for most people it can take 5 months or more for visible results.
IS THIS PROCEDURE SAFE?
PRP is immunologically neutral and poses no danger of allergic, hypersensitivity or foreign-body reactions. Sterile technique is used at every stage of PRP preparation and application.
A brief period of inflammation at wound sites may be experienced by a patient after the application of PRP. Inflammation may be associated with release of platelet-associated factors at the wound site. Some medical conditions may be a contraindication to use of PRP. Many of these are not absolute contraindications because the conditions vary from patient to patient.
PREPARING FOR THE PROCEDURE
- Avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks
- Avoid keratin and hair dye for 2 weeks
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and cigarettes for 48 hours prior to your procedure
- Prepare to take the rest of the day off
- DO Not arrive on empty stomach
- Wash your hair throughly the night before or the morning of your treatment
- Wash your hands before touching your scalp
- DO NOT use any hats for 48 hours (to let your scalp breath and to avoid contamination)
- After 48 hours a hat can be used to protect your scalp from the sun when you're going outside but avoid contact with dirty caps
- Replace your pillow case
- Your scalp can be rinsed the next day
- DO NOT use any styling products (gel, mousse, spray) for 48 hours
- No alcoholic beverages for 72 hours
- No Sun exposure for 2 weeks
- No exercise for 72 hours
- No hot tub, steam rooms and swimming for 7 days
- Avoid Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaire and other anti inflammatory medications for 7 days. You can safely take Tylenol if you have any discomfort.
- Soreness, itching and swelling are normal reactions it should subside in 48 hours
- Improvements can be noticed as early as 2 months but for most people it can take 5 months or more for visible results